Dr Carina Kemp1, Dr Frankie Stevens1, Ms Ingrid Mason1
1AARNET, Sydney, Australia
This workshop is targeted at researchers and research support specialists interested in accessing and working with open geoscience data. Workshop participants will learn about a range of data sources for open geoscience data, and want to know techniques of accessing and processing that data using a Jupyter notebook. The workshop is targeted* towards researchers using AARNet’s CloudStor service (with Jupyter notebooks integrated)
The Advanced Use of Jupyter Notebook workshop is ~3 hours (including breaks) and will cover:
- Where open geoscience data can be sourced. 30 minutes
- How to access and process open geoscience data using a Jupyter notebook. 45 minutes
- What different programming languages and techniques can be used for data processing. 30 minutes
- Advanced programming of an open geoscience dataset using a Jupyter notebook. 30 minutes
- Wrap up. 10 minutes
- Workshop preparation: Come with a laptop.
- Workshop breakdown: Workshop is half-day, includes a hands-on component.
- Workshop requirements: Wifi for ~40 attendees, no special seating.
Workshop content is relevant to all means of accessing and using Jupyter notebooks.
Dr Carina Kemp leads the AARNet eResearch team and engagement in Australian eResearch community. She has also worked as a research scientist, a company geophysicist and a consultant to industry. Her enduring interests include Open Data, Data Analytics, Machine Learning, and High Performance Computing.