Thank you for chairing a session at C3DIS 2019
Please check the online program to re-confirm the day, time and room of the session/s you have been allocated. Whilst we don’t anticipate any changes please check the program again prior to your session.
Below are some tips to assist you with the chairing process. Most importantly, please ensure you start and finish all presentations on time and keep to the order in the program.
Please note: a “Session” is the full time slot between one break and the next (ie all inclusive, consecutive presentations that run from the end of morning tea until lunch).
Code of Conduct Policy
This conference is dedicated to providing an inclusive and harassment-free conference experience and workplace for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion. Our Code of Conduct policy can be found at: www.c3dis.com/code-of-conduct-policy
Before the Session
- Review the abstracts for your session which are available via the online program.
- Use this information to introduce the speakers. Ask the speaker how much of his bio he/she wishes for you to use. Sometimes a paragraph is sufficient.
- The abstracts are also available in the conference app. Downloading instructions will be sent to all delegates prior to the conference, with instructions also included in conference holding slides.
- Please go to your session room 15 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters and to familiarise yourself with the room.
- Introduce yourself to the presenters and the AV technician allocated to your room.
- There will be a space reserved for the session chair in the front row of each room with time cards (5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute), and a bell for signalling the end of each presentation. Please use the lectern microphone to introduce the presenters and at the end of the presentation for questions. Thank each speaker at the end of their presentation.
- Each presentation runs for 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for Q&A and changeover. Audience members wishing to move in or out should do so quietly towards the end of question time.
- Advise the presenters that you will be signalling the time and ringing the bell when they have to stop.
- Presenters have been asked to load their slides in the Speaker’s Preparation Room prior to the session. If a presenter arrives with a USB to load slides, or with their own laptop, please direct them to the AV technician. Technicians will be floating between session rooms throughout the day to assist presenters and trouble shoot technical issues if they arise.
- You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session.
- In larger rooms there will be a Q&A microphone on a stand in the aisle. Ask a member of the audience to be a microphone ‘runner’, if required.
During the Session
- Begin the session on time, announce any housekeeping and ask that all electronic devices are to be turned to silent.
- Please use your phone to keep to time. If you don’t have one, talk to the registration desk before the session starts and a clock will be provided to you. Your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks.
- Introduce each presentation with the title, the presenter, the presenter’s affiliations and biography overview. Presenters will be asked to sit in the front row of the theatre so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation.
- If a presentation is withdrawn or a presenter does not arrive do not bring the next presentation forward, use the time for questions. Delegates will be planning to come to your session based on the published session times. You will be given further instructions by the Conference Organisers, if an alternative presentation can be arranged in time.
- Ensure each session starts and finishes on time. The length of each presentation is listed in the program.
- At the end of each presentation be prepared to ask a question yourself, if time allows and no questions are forthcoming from the audience.
- Do not ask any questions if the presenter has used all their allocated time.
- Use any remaining time for questions and discussion.
- At the conclusion of the session, thank the presenters and note that rather than provide individual gifts today we have donated a maths teaching kit to children in need through UNICEF.
If you have any queries, please direct these to the registration desk during the conference or email email@example.com prior to the conference.